Junior and Senior High Orientations:
New Student Orientation: Join us on Monday, Aug. 14th from 10-11:30 AM in our multi-purpose room in the quad.
New Parent Orientation:
Junior High – Monday, Aug 14th from 6-7 PM
Senior High – Monday, Aug 14th from 7:30 to 8:30 PM
Wednesday, August 9th - Last Day of the Summer Program; End of Summer Class Parties
Thursday, August 10th - Preschool Closed - Teacher Orientation & Preparation
Friday, August 11th - Preschool Closed - Teacher Orientation & Preparation
Monday, August 14th - Preschool Closed - Teacher Orientation & Preparation
Tuesday, August 15th - Meet the Teacher Day - 9:00am-12:00pm
This is an opportunity for parents and students to visit their new classrooms and meet their new teachers, allowing students to orient themselves to their new classroom. (There is no student drop-off this day.)
Tuesday, August 15th - Back to School Night - 6:30 p.m.
During this parent orientation, parents are oriented to the policies and procedures of the school. Additionally, the teachers will review the expectations of their class and answer questions. (This meeting is for parents only.)
Wednesday, August 16th - First Day of School
Why they are "just playing"...
When they are playing with sand, they are learning...
- Math concepts: conservation, weight distribution, volume and mass, measuring, geometry, numbers.
- Science: exploring, observing, discovering.
- Language: comparative terms, requests for information, dialogue, names for things.
- Symbolic Representation: using sand in a make-believe way to represent abstract thinking and visualization.
- Social Skills: sharing, cooperating, problem solving.
When they are playing with water, they are learning...
- Math concepts: fractions, volume, weight, equality differences, measurement.
- Science: water as a power source, water conservation, water pollution, water management, evaporation, water cycle, properties of water and objects in water.
- Language: vocabulary, phrases.
- Social Skills: manners, sharing.
- Art: food, paint color in water, mixing colors.
- Motor Skills: pouring and coordinated movement.
When they are playing with manipulatives, they are learning...
- Math Concepts: patters, ordering and sequence, number, measurement, geometry, algebra, probability, logic.
- Representation: using manipulatives to represent solutions, problems.
- Self-direction: making choices, making a plan and implementing it.
- Scientific Method: observing, making and testing predictions.
- Social Studies: using available resources for building, representing structures.
When they are engaged in dramatic play, they are learning...
- Language: changing roles, creating a script.
- Representation: using language and objects to represent situations in life.
- Problem Solving: human interaction, causing others to play cooperatively.
When they are playing with blocks, they are learning...
- Math / Science: size, shapes, weight, sorting, patterning, cause and effect.
- Reasoning Skills: problem solving, planning.
- Social Skills: cooperation, negotiation, conflict resolution.
- Literacy: symbolic representation.
When they are engaged in art, they are learning...
- Representation: using art materials to represent learning from other curricular areas.
- Creative Expression: using color, line form, texture, shape to express themselves.
- Problem Solving: using available materials to create, using "mistakes" creatively.
- Language: vocabulary, descriptive words.
- Cause and Effect: creating change.
- Task Completion: staying with a task and experiencing the feeling of satisfaction.